- Aerial view of campus highlighting the Ezekiel Cullen building and Cullen Family Plaza. Agnes Arnold Hall is under construction. In 1936, the University of Houston acquired nearly 110 acres for a permanent campus from donations from Ben Taub and the Settegast estate. The school began holding classes on this new campus, located east of downtown, in 1939. Today, the University of Houston main campus has extended to 550 acres bordered by Wheeler, Elgin, and Scott streets. The campus successfully integrates large open green areas, sculptures, and fountains with state of the art research laboratories, academic buildings, and dormitories.