- Photograph of architectural drawing of campus. In 1936, the University of Houston acquired nearly 110 acres for a permanent campus from donations from Ben Taub and the Settegast estate. The school began holding classes on this new campus, located east of downtown, in 1939. Today, the University of Houston main campus has extended to 550 acres bordered by Wheeler, Elgin, and Scott streets. The campus successfully integrates large open green areas, sculptures, and fountains with state of the art research laboratories, academic buildings, and dormitories.