- Interior, A.D. Bruce Religion Center. The A.D. Bruce Religion Center was established through the Rockwell Endowment by James W. and Henry M. Rockwell, in memory of their parents James M. and Sarah Wade Rockwell. The funding provided by the Endowment was for the maintenance and operation of a religion center for the university. Originally named the University Religion Center, the name was officially changed to the A.D. Bruce Religion Center as a memorial to General Andrew Davis Bruce. The building was occupied in 1964 and later dedicated on May 23, 1965. The architect was Frank Dill. Andrew Davis Bruce served as the third president of the University of Houston from 1954-1961.