- Fire crews respond to a fourth-floor fire in the Ezekiel Cullen Building, 1959. The Ezekiel Cullen Building, known informally as E. Cullen, houses the offices of the President, Provost, and Vice Presidents of the University of Houston as well as the office of the Dean of Graduate and Professional Studies. The building's groundbreaking ceremony was on May 14, 1948. In addition, the building also had a special "Cornerstone Laying Ceremony" on March 16, 1949. The building was dedicated and occupied in October of 1950. The architect was Alfred C. Finn.