- Construction phase, Philip G. Hoffman Hall. Phillip G. Hoffman Hall honors the fifth President of the University of Houston 1961-1978, President of the System 1978-1980, also Vice-President, Dean of Faculties and History Professor 1957-1961, Phillip Guthrie Hoffman. The building houses departments from both the College of Natural Science and Mathematics and College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences. The building was dedicated on April 27, 1980, six years after its initial occupation in 1974. The architects were Kenneth Bentsen & Assoc.